Thursday, March 6, 2014

Tasting - "Shaw Family Vintners SteepleJack Moscato"


Name: Shaw Family Vintners SteepleJack Moscato
Variety: Moscato (85% Gordo, 15% Chardonnay)
Region: McLaren Vale, South Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2012
Price: $8.99

Winery Review: "Confectionary notes with a hint of musk lifesavers dominate this wine. Sweet and petite, with a rush of fizz, ensuring a refreshing clean finish."

My Review: I don't usually go for Moscato, mostly because it's sweet enough to be a dessert, but I decided to give this one a chance. SteepleJack has a lovely golden color with hints of green and a little bit of spritz. The nose has heavy Chardonnay notes, but there is also some green apple, flinty, peach bits as well. The flavor profile is incredibly floral. I've never had a wine where I could pinpoint specific flowers, but I was excited to discover with this one I could. Honeysuckle stood out more than anything else, but I also tasted a bit of jasmine, peach, and orange peel. At first I wasn't sure how complex it was, the finish was not very strong, but the more I sipped, the more I could sense the levels. It had a decent body, not as nice as my last review of "Gnarly Head", but it has a wonderful tingly essence to it that makes it exciting on the tongue. Overall, this was much too sweet to drink a lot of. I think sipping for dessert would be alright, but I probably wouldn't buy another whole bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment