Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tasting - "Gnarly Head Authentic White"

Name: Gnarly Head Authentic White
Variety: Riesling, Moscato, Sauvignon Blanc, & Viognier
Region: Lodi & Monterey, California
Country: USA
Year: 2011
Price: $8.99

Winery Review: "Authentic White is a gnarly blend of tasty white varietals including Riesling, Moscato, Sauvignon Blanc and Viognier. It is lush and juicy on the palate with aromas of pear, green apple and honeysuckle and flavors of melon, nectarine and crisp lemon zest finish. Authentically delicious, Gnarly Head Authentic White is a great food wine! Serve with spicy Asian cuisine, soft cheeses and salads."

My Review: My decision to purchase Gnarly Head had a lot to do with the bottle and name, but also the fact that it was a blend of different whites. When I opened it, I could smell how crisp and sweet it was, giving me hope! The bouquet overall was fresh, like seashells, with citrus and diesel hints. My first couple of sips, I mostly noticed the mouth feel and how full the wine seemed. It has a good balance of sweetness with floral tones and a tart finish that lasts, probably because of the heavy lemon and tangerine/nectarine flavors. On a side note, I observed the legs on the glass from the residual sugar and how strong they seemed, backing up the sweetness I could smell and taste.
I quite enjoyed this wine and would probably recommend it to a friend. I try to avoid buying the same wine twice, but if I were hard pressed to find one I liked in a short amount of time, this one would do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment