Thursday, May 1, 2014

Tasting - "Gewürz"

Name: Gewürz
Variety: Gewürztraminer
Region: Mendocino County, California
Country: USA
Year: 2013
Price: $9.99

Winery Review: "This wine will fool you with sweet floral aromas. The 2013 has the classic floral, sweet aromas of stone fruits, pear, rose and a hint of wet stone minerality. The flavors are similar to the aromas highlighted by tropical, spice and grapefruit flavors."

My Review: I wanted to try a Gewürztraminer and found this one, relatively cheap at Whole Foods. I wasn't thrilled, but I think if I found a sweeter one from Germany, I might really enjoy it. This wine was dryer than I anticipated, even with a thicker viscosity. The nose had some nice rose petal, orange blossom, and pear notes, but the diesel/petrol smell I get from a lot of whites came through too. The feel was pretty smooth, but it had some acid and a bitter aftertaste. I was surprised that it sort of coated my tongue and then left a dry sensation. The floral notes on the nose were not really on the tongue, but there was definitely a mineral, steely taste that may have overwhelmed anything else. Overall, not a bad wine for the cost, but not one I'd purchase again.

No comments:

Post a Comment