Thursday, May 1, 2014

Tasting - "The Honey Pot"


Name: The Honey Pot
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc 79%, Semillon 13%, Viognier 8%
Region: Stellenbosch
Country: South Africa
Year: 2012
Price: $11.99

Winery Review: "Lovely yellow green tinged color with brilliant reflection of light. Nose of Papaya, melon and litchi. Palate is smooth and creamy with soft, tropical fruit notes of papaya, litchi and mango and ends with a fresh, long finish."

My Review: This wine was interesting, so I'm glad I tried it, but I wish there had been less Sauvignon Blanc and more of the other varietals, but oh well. I definitely noticed the tropical and citrus scents on the nose, but there was something I struggled to name. It had a mustier sort of scent and maybe some lavender?  I really had a tough time picking it out. The taste was also a little tricky. I went back and forth on the acidity and the finish was a little steely for me. I did get the tropical, papaya, and citrus flavors though. After reading the winery review, I took a few more sips and decided that litchi/lychee might actually be there and I hadn't noticed it before! I don't think I've had lychee in a wine before.

No comments:

Post a Comment